View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
JeepNmpg2
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
To pull or not to pull (a trailer), is that the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfguy2000 View Post
The rental cost of the diesel is very close to the cost of the smaller gas trucks. Will a large empty diesel truck get better or worse mileage than a small gas truck? (When towing a car)
Thanks for the reply and the great question! I hate to say it but yes, the large empty diesel truck will brow beat the smaller gasoline truck for FE while towing a trailer all day long. I've had a smaller diesel truck that I averaged 12-13 mpg for the entire trip from LA to Seattle area, with 5,500lbs of household goods and a 3,600lb car on a trailer behind it. Don't get me wrong, this vehicle was pretty overloaded, but even with that amount of weight, the diesel engine is extremely efficient when "pushed".

Just to put the data out there for everyone:

The smallest Diesel truck is usually in the 17-22 ft box range, which is equiped to move 3-5 bedrooms but that might only be in my area. However I believe there are 12 ft and perhaps smaller gasoline trucks that are fully capable of towing a second vehicle, but they are only rated for 6-10 mpg. The key to the situation is whether or not the vehicle is towing because of the additional drag induced by two more axles worth of machinery and the sheer weight of an automobile. Ever noticed how the 1/2 ton pickups nowadays are rated for 10,000lb towing, but they can only hold 1,000ish lbs in the box? It's less of an extreme difference with moving trucks, but it still is applicable. The MPG's said gasoline trucks get while under larger loads is simply abyssmal though (single digits, sometimes not much more than 5-7).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfguy2000 View Post
Which brings me to my main question: Should I go with the Diesel moving truck?
From what you've stated, I'd say you're nearly at a draw based on the following math. The diesel vehicle slightly edges out the gasoline model, but I'll get into this more later. This is assuming that all other cost factors are equal and we're only going off of the price of fuel for the whole trip:

12 ft gasoline box truck: (1000 miles / 6-10 MPG) X $3.65/gal = $365.00 - 608.33
22 ft diesel box truck: (1000 miles / 8-12 MPG) X $4.11/gal = $342.50 - 513.75

I would look into the option of pulling a trailer behind your accord. Even the 4 cylinder model should be capable of pulling 2,000 lbs (based off of the 3,200lb curb weight) safely. A 4x8 or 5x8 enclosed trailer weigh around 800lbs alone. If you have less than 1,200 lbs of items try this option as it will be cheaper than the truck option almost always.

Below are some links to a company that I've used for years for towing parts, they have really competative prices too:

Tow hitch: Honda Accord Trailer Hitch - 2003 | etrailer.com
Wiring: Honda Accord Trailer Wiring Harness - 2003 | etrailer.com
Ball mount: 5 Inch Rise Fits 1-1/4 Inch Hitch Ball Mounts | etrailer.com
Ball: Hitch Ball Standard Ball 2 Inch Diameter Ball 3/4 Inch Diameter Shank Balls | etrailer.com

This is drawn up specifically for your vehicle (the 2003 Honda Accord), any of the eqiupment shown will meet your needs. Bottom line is that for around $200 shipped (and about two hours with a wrench in your driveway), you can pull a trailer with your own vehicle safely and it should be cheaper both with fuel economy and equipment rental cost.

If you must take a truck, I personally would still go for the diesel for this one reason: you still can get the trucks optimum fuel efficiency even with a heavy trailer behind it while with gasoline you simply will not. Especially when the diesel is rated for so much more weight to begin with.