View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
FastPlastic
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and spent a little more on a pre-filled/charged AGM battery with a 1 year warranty. I don't want to take my chances screwing up the first charge so they take care of that for me. It did sit in the bike for a few months out in the cold before I brought it in. I would love to start it up once in a while over winter, but she just won't hardly crank under about 30F(no heated garage here). Last few years prior to this battery she just sat the same way, but I guess we did see some warmer weather once in a while. Guess I'll make sure to take the battery out and bring her inside to charge next year.

Now we'll have to see if she will start when the battery arrives(another one of my problems). Took her to the shop last year because she wouldn't start. They got her running but didn't say anything about what was wrong. Tried to start her this past winter and the same thing was going on. She'll crank like none other, but never turn over, won't even cough. One thing I noticed when I took her apart last year was I had oil on two of the spark plugs. Is it possible it's filling two of the cylinders and that's whats causing it to not start? I know if I let it sit for a week or two it would barely start and the first mile or so she would sound like a V-twin.

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far