View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #1460 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Ok, well, here's A photo.

Why is it that my cabling looks fine, and then I take a photo of it, and in the photo the CABLES ARE EVERYWHERE!?!?!?

They don't look that bad in real life... REALLY!

Anywhoo - you can see that there are 4 batteries in the "radiator rack" position. The cables even have heat shrink tubing and everything.

The best spot I ever had for mounting the controller is now taken up by batteries. I tried playing around with some plywood over the top of the motor to mount the controller on, but then it TOTALLY hides the motor!

I had a little bit of plexiglass kicking around, so I put that over the top of the motor and then mounted the controller to that. If you look close in the photo, you can see that the controller is "floating".

Also, the bottom-right corner of the DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE box needed a new mounting point. It used to go to a threaded rod that held in battery #6, but with the new 4 batteries in front configuration, that threaded rod isn't there any more.

The closest solid mounting point is the battery tie-down for the original accessory battery. That is the type where a piece of metal clamps down on the "foot" of the battery to hold it in place. I used a 5" long piece of flat steel with a hole drilled in either end to go to the battery tie-down and the corner of the box. The fender washer is where the support for the box connects to the short piece of bar that then mounts to the base of the 12V accessory battery.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos