View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
How to: Civic antenna delete (reversible)

I deleted the antenna but found a way to avoid removing moldings and unplugging anything. This way to mod is fully and easily reversible. And I might want to reverse it because I have lost almost all of the AM band and the low-end parts of the FM band (such as San Diego and Los Angeles NPR and Pacifica). FM music stations mostly come in okay.

Here is how I happily wrecked my radio (see pics below):

1) retract the antenna and unscrew the antenna housing above the driver's side door.
2) gently pull the assembly (cover and attached antenna) out about an inch or so, in order to turn it over.
3) Slide the housing up the antenna. It will fight you because there is a metal piece slipped into the housing to secure the antenna more snugly. Take your time and gradually work it out (firmly).
4) After removing the housing from the antenna, slip the retracted antenna into the a-pillar.
5) a used a small screwdriver to hold the antenna in place using the metal eye-hole referred to above, and then with a pair of needle-nose pliers slowly extended the antenna into the a pillar and along the roof adjacent to the driver's door.
6) The I temporarily sealed up the hole with electrical tape... I'm not committed enough yet to want to do something more permanently water tight.

This all took about 5-10 mins.

james

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	8564   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 2.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	8565   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	8566   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 4.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	8567   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna 5.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	8568  

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.