View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
My antenna can slide down into the A-pillar. That leaves the plastic molding and the tiny ball-cap sticking out but nothing more. It's a quick pull to restore it. I can even raise or lower it while driving. It's not as aero as your tape mod, but I can use the radio if I want to.

my 2c
EDIT: my 1998 Civic has the same sliding antenna design. I'm trying to shave the surface plastic housing.

Access to the radio is a plus, I agree. I like radio. I like the CBS network on the AM band. I like NPR and Pacifica. Losing them is significant. I am wondering about some sort of alternative to the OEM plastic housing, something flat, maybe of coroplast, and sealed against water somehow. I would like to be able to slide the antenna if necessary. Alternately, a new antenna is a possibility. Something that would be hidden, like in or on the glass, but effective still. Didn't MetroMPG get better results deleting his antenna by sliding it into the a-pillar?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.