View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I would say "Hmmm... that depends". It depends on how well Ford designed the aerodynamics of the Mustang in the first place. It could end up being a lot of effort for minimal gain. The rear wing may actually be helping reduce drag. Have you read the thread about the "Flat Bonneville-type spoiler"?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ler-14946.html

IMO there may be other low hanging fruit such as grill blocking and folding or removing side mirrors that my make more of a difference in highway mileage. A belly pan is a nice stealth mod.
I have now modeled three spoiler types, and tested two of them, with both tests discussed in the thread cocyclist recommends. First thing I would do based on what I have learned in the process is measure the angle from roof to spoiler top using a string. If it is in the vicinity of a 15* angle, build a Kamm from roof to spoiler. You might use the spoiler itself as a support or mount for a support. You might remove that spoiler. It likely produces drag for the sake of downforce.

I'm finishing a trunk lid project for testing, though I fully expect I might not use it in the end and go for a Kamm. Clear materials appeal to me also, because I want it to look fairly stealthy and I do not want to loose any more visibility than absolutely necessary. I also agree with COcyclist: the bottom of these cars is almost always an Aero mess so there is a stealthy way to improve your car's Cd. Lastly, look up "rear defusor" on this forum. You could use one--or an improvement over stock if you have one.

PS: nice looking car, man.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Floordford (06-22-2011)