View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
dieselbeetle -

Yeah, I have a black dash cover for my dark brown dash. I don't think you want a reflective dash cover. You still need a dark color, otherwise the color of the dash will reflect onto the window. At least that's what happens to me.

CarloSW2
I have wondered about this too. I'm starting on a dash cover as a mod for cooling. I need an insulator to cool the vent-ducting just under the dash. I have an old wind screen heat shield I thought I could cut and tailor--maybe. But if I cover it with a dark color I will recreate some of the heat gain inside the cabin. I certainly can't use white or silver (!), but anything is better than my stock black! Any suggestions?

@Sentra-SE-R: I am sure you are correct that cars heat up in the sun, but car-off and car running with fan running after running the A/C are really different scenarios. The A/C unit will still be cooling recirculating air for a while. BTW, my tint keeps my car far cooler than you would expect: metalized, heat rejecting, and DARK, I don't get into a cool car, but it's a lot cooler. I'm working on the roof liners after the dash. I'm gonna be cool without A/C one day.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.