Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Knight - '07 Chevy Cobalt LS

Chevyteg - '95 Acura Integra LS
man I'm learning so much

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Impossible. I hate to burst your bubble, but someone has to. A sealed car in Orlando in July will soar to 150 degrees in 30 minutes without AC. It's simple physics. If you don't believe me, just park that Malibu, and sit in it, engine off, for 5 minutes, and see how well your imaginary insulation keeps the car cool.

Your rental Malibu must have automatic climate control. That's even worse than AC, since it's blending cool AC air with heater air to maintain cabin temperature.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 07-17-2011 at 04:36 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
^^^also to balance humidity

Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
^^^also to balance humidity
...exactly, because water vapor (humidity) "holds" heat. That's *why* a clear night will typically be colder than a humid night...water vapor can hold a lot of BTU's!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
dieselbeetle -

Yeah, I have a black dash cover for my dark brown dash. I don't think you want a reflective dash cover. You still need a dark color, otherwise the color of the dash will reflect onto the window. At least that's what happens to me.

CarloSW2
I have wondered about this too. I'm starting on a dash cover as a mod for cooling. I need an insulator to cool the vent-ducting just under the dash. I have an old wind screen heat shield I thought I could cut and tailor--maybe. But if I cover it with a dark color I will recreate some of the heat gain inside the cabin. I certainly can't use white or silver (!), but anything is better than my stock black! Any suggestions?

@Sentra-SE-R: I am sure you are correct that cars heat up in the sun, but car-off and car running with fan running after running the A/C are really different scenarios. The A/C unit will still be cooling recirculating air for a while. BTW, my tint keeps my car far cooler than you would expect: metalized, heat rejecting, and DARK, I don't get into a cool car, but it's a lot cooler. I'm working on the roof liners after the dash. I'm gonna be cool without A/C one day.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
@Sentra-SE-R: I am sure you are correct that cars heat up in the sun, but car-off and car running with fan running after running the A/C are really different scenarios. The A/C unit will still be cooling recirculating air for a while.
No automobile can avoid getting hot enough to fry an egg on its hood in Orlando Summer sun. All a fan does is move that 100+ degree air around inside the Malibu. So, park that Malibu in the Summer Orlando sun for half an hour, starting with it being 75 degrees inside. Take a house fan and extension cord with you. Do you seriously think it's not going to rise to 150 degrees inside that car within half an hour?

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
dieselbeetle -

Yeah, I have a black dash cover for my dark brown dash. I don't think you want a reflective dash cover. You still need a dark color, otherwise the color of the dash will reflect onto the window. At least that's what happens to me.

CarloSW2
oh yes. I'm quite familiar with the reflection syndrome. However, on a recent road trip I had success with laying a towel over my dash. The towel was light blue and yes, reflective. However, the only times that this reflectivity gave me a problem was when the towel got bunched up. This caused distorted shadows and made seeing out harder (as you were saying). In other words, you get used to the reflective effect the light dash cover has, because it has no shadows or patterns that can become visual obstacles. THESE are what impairs vision, not the light color's reflectivity.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
No automobile can avoid getting hot enough to fry an egg on its hood in Orlando Summer sun. All a fan does is move that 100+ degree air around inside the Malibu. So, park that Malibu in the Summer Orlando sun for half an hour, starting with it being 75 degrees inside. Take a house fan and extension cord with you. Do you seriously think it's not going to rise to 150 degrees inside that car within half an hour?
I never said anything about the car being turned off.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
That's why, after a couple minutes, you turn the A/C back on. Then toggle off. Then on. Low fan. Internal recirculation. Takes away heat and humidity, runs the A/C a fraction of the time. Saves fuel. Nobody freezes.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
SwamiSalami (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Oh! Apparently one trim level of the 2010 Malibu (the highest level it seems) does have "climate control" instead of just AC: 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ Sedan 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aClockworkLuka (08-27-2011), SwamiSalami (07-18-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, hate my jetta, hypermiling, malibu mpg