View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaley View Post
Well I was shocked to see 33 mpg from a 2004 but loved it. Drove from Red River to Wichita Falls, Texas with gas to spare. Of Course gas was cheaper then too. Where did all the good times go when I had a 56 Chevy Nomad with a 265 cuin V8 and a 2 speed tranny? Cost me 10 bucks to fill up?!

I'm hoping the master control computer on board is set up to read exhaust gasses and modulate the length of time an injector is open, thereby controlling the gas allowed into the cylinder.
Does the same thing at high altitudes. Thinner air, less oxygen, the car gets less gas, lower altitudes, more oxygen gets more gas. Or so I am to think.
I'm hopeful the ox sensors will control the fuel management portion of the system with the Platinum component working correctly.

I'll know soon, got a 1500 round trip to and from Dallas. Know my mileage real well over the past 10 trips so by the time I get to Dallas I should see a difference, or so I hope, and by the time I get back to Red River there should be some consistence to those results. If it's a bust, I have 4 months to return it.

Give ya details later.

Doc
If you are right about the O2 sensor, then this is something interesting. Look at these reports about recent EPA testing: Platinum 22 Seems like an advert site, but it is interesting. EDIT: and this one: http://www.robinsonenginehead.net/?p=9
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.