View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
In another thread they said both side mirrors together account for .1 in your Cd, I don't see how removal of one mirror can make a 1-mpg difference.
Whether you have big or small blindspots depends on the car, and so does whether there is a benefit to a mirror delete. Some mirrors are better integrated into the body and produce less trouble--apparently--than others. For some there will be little to know measurable difference. But assuming there is a minor benefit these seems to fit into the category of mods you do knowing you will need to do many more to pile-up small benefits into a significant one. To me the point of modding is not just the big gain, it is also experimenting with multiple small changes that together create a big change.

As for safety... I agree, but I don't see this as a safety issue. My interior convex mirror is coordinated with the windshield mounted mirror: before any object in the center mirror disappear, it appears in the convex mirror (even motorcycles). I have no blind spot. And I can always look to the right, which I also do (out of habit).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 08-23-2011 at 06:28 AM..