View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I did a bit of searching and found photos of a hand full of brass battery posts and couldn't find a single one that looked to have threads on the inside of it! you might be able to press a T-nut in or something but it's going to be hokey.
So I did a bit more searching as to why that battery has those style posts when every other battery does not... turns out what you have is a motorcycle battery! and motorcycles that I've worked on always have ring terminals that get bolted on so studs in that case are what you want, otherwise motorcycle batteries have a weird little flat lead tab with a bolt hole for a 6mm bolt!
So not only do you need a post to connect up to, but the studs that are there have the battery case close enough that once you have a post on there the cable end is not going to have any space to clamp on, so you need a spacer as well and of course you need everything to be a nice tight fit because when you crank the starter over you are drawing 100's of amps and a bad connection will melt.
Ugh. I wish I had selected the PC680 battery. The adapters just bolt-on to that one. Easily done. Well, anyway, I sorta doubled-down since I have this battery in hand. I ordered the SAE post adapters I chose from the link you posted. I chose the pair that seems to have a built in spacer at the bottom, unlike the other ones on the list. I'm hoping that these hex-bolts are meant to fit into the adapters to secure the unit. That would mean the adapter is threated on the inside and might fit onto my M6 posts. Maybe. I'll keep this thread "posted" (pun) as to my success/failure. Maybe it'll help someone else!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.