View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I don't believe there are any DX trim Civics with lean burn, but I guess I can't claim to know for certain. I think only the HX will offer that in the sixth generation. What trim was this 2-door silver coupe?

Something to think about with the Civics is the gearing, which varies significantly with the trim level. The sixth gen HX and DX have the same transmission gearing, but the HX has a taller (read "better" FE) final reduction gear. Changing the final reduction gear would merely be a bolt-on affair. The EX has less desirable gearing from an FE standpoint.

james

Quote:
Originally Posted by creosote7 View Post
I've driven a stick since high school so no problem there..Just having a very hard time finding a good civic w/ manual tranny that's not ragged out. Found a nice 98 silver 2dr coupe with manual tran. the other day and turns out it had a new engine put in it at 170k..now it has 179k miles. So that makes me nervous.

I'm a little confused on the "Lean Burn" ability of the civics..At first I thought that only applied to the HX, but it seems that others with LX, DX, talk about lean burn. Could someone explain what civic have that option and is it a good thing? I've read here about Scangauge having problems reading accurate MPG with lean burn mode.

thanks again for help...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.