Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New Member..Looking to buy 98 Civic HX

I recently found this forum and have gleaned much excellent information in that past week. I'm looking at a 98 Honda Civic HX that is locally forsale and wanted to get your feedback. I'm going to look at it today and have talked to the owner. I see several folks here have Civic's and are getting great mileage results. I've owned many hondas but never a HX or CVT version. The mod that's been down is a custom (maybe a K&N?) air intake as seen in the picture. Overall looks pretty good given the year..Just a little concerned about these HX engines after seeing some other user's have engine issues due to low oil capacity (3 qts), etc.

Please let me know what you think...

Listing text:

I have a 98 Civic HX. auto with only 149K original miles. 2 doors coupe, 4 cyl in great condition. It Drives and runs good. power windows and locks. Nice sony CD player. good tires and brakes with original Honda Alloy Wheels. Cold AC and hot heat. body is in good condition and clean interior. needs front shocks. recent timing belt and water pump changed at 142K miles. clean title

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	civic-hx1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	9421   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic-hx2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	9422   Click image for larger version

Name:	civic-hx3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	9423  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The cold air intake is garbage and the CVT is a $5k part when it goes out and no rebuild possible, just a new transmission. I would hold out for a manual transmission.

regards
Mech
Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm trying to understand exactly what you are suggesting.. Are you saying beware of the HX (CVT) models vs a regular DX/LX/EX? I know manual transmissions are preferable but didn't know if it made much difference with a HX model given the CVT... I must admit I don't understand how you can have a CVT and manual tranny? It seems the two are contradicting...

thanks again,,
Old 09-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well..the civc didn't look to great. Ended up having some aftermarket sports shocks that felt terrible. Didn't like the air intake mods and over all car wasn't in the greatest condition. I think I will hold out for a manual transmission..
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Not all Civic HX's had CVT's in them, the HX's that had manuals last longer and got better mileage, but here in America we don't teach people how to drive cars with manual transmissions because that sounds hard.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
but here in America we don't teach people how to drive cars with manual transmissions because that sounds hard.
Hahahaha!! Thanks.
... on the HX... Old Mechanic made a good call, and if it is not the manual trans you will not see the best numbers you could get out of that engine... A Civic HF, VX, or HX ... these are the kings in the 80s/90s, it seems. But the hatchback sixth generation CX and DX had great gearing, better than my DX Coupe. What you need is just a good platform... any of these cars are it... take a look at all those TDI diesels too... wow.
good luck...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I vote to get a car with a manual transmission, if you want to optimize fuel economy. There's just so much more you can do with a manual. And that's aside from the high cost of replacing an automatic if it goes bad.

If you don't yet know how to "drive a stick", learn as soon as you can, maybe on some other car and not the one you will be buying!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've driven a stick since high school so no problem there..Just having a very hard time finding a good civic w/ manual tranny that's not ragged out. Found a nice 98 silver 2dr coupe with manual tran. the other day and turns out it had a new engine put in it at 170k..now it has 179k miles. So that makes me nervous.

I'm a little confused on the "Lean Burn" ability of the civics..At first I thought that only applied to the HX, but it seems that others with LX, DX, talk about lean burn. Could someone explain what civic have that option and is it a good thing? I've read here about Scangauge having problems reading accurate MPG with lean burn mode.

thanks again for help...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I don't believe there are any DX trim Civics with lean burn, but I guess I can't claim to know for certain. I think only the HX will offer that in the sixth generation. What trim was this 2-door silver coupe?

Something to think about with the Civics is the gearing, which varies significantly with the trim level. The sixth gen HX and DX have the same transmission gearing, but the HX has a taller (read "better" FE) final reduction gear. Changing the final reduction gear would merely be a bolt-on affair. The EX has less desirable gearing from an FE standpoint.

james

Quote:
Originally Posted by creosote7 View Post
I've driven a stick since high school so no problem there..Just having a very hard time finding a good civic w/ manual tranny that's not ragged out. Found a nice 98 silver 2dr coupe with manual tran. the other day and turns out it had a new engine put in it at 170k..now it has 179k miles. So that makes me nervous.

I'm a little confused on the "Lean Burn" ability of the civics..At first I thought that only applied to the HX, but it seems that others with LX, DX, talk about lean burn. Could someone explain what civic have that option and is it a good thing? I've read here about Scangauge having problems reading accurate MPG with lean burn mode.

thanks again for help...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Only the HX model had lean burn. The CX model would be a good alternative. Search the nationwide craigs list for one and pay more for a pristine example with fairly low mileage.
A new engine would not scare me as long as there was documentation to support the claim of a new engine.

Nationwide Craigslist Search Engine

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread