View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #54 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0snipe View Post
So I'm interested in trying this, I tried pulse and glide on the way back home from work. I've never popped the clutch before so I'll be popping my clutch popping cherry... I'm going to try this is a parking lot first but is it better to do this at lower RPM?

For example, when I was trying P&G, I stayed in 5th, accelerated to 90km/h(~2000RPM), neutral, coasted to 70km/h (N ~1100RPM), and went into gear again (70km/h in 5th ~1700RPM). I would try to rev match when going back into gear, which seems counter intuitive to fuel economy...

So I guess my question is: is it safe to just put it in gear? the same with popping the clutch, I thought that was an "in case you can't start the car" not, "let's force the engine to start up every 40 seconds" so how does that work?
It is not safe to just put it in gear. You want to match the rev when doing your neutral coasting with the engine on. And with engine off coasting you want to only "bump" the clutch to the gear just enough to spin the motor a little and start it up. As you get better at this you will come to a point where you no longer even notice the re-start of the engine much at all. After you bump start get into gear using rev matching. Try at moderate speeds first, 40mph perhaps. As with many things... practice is the key. Be safe. Remember that when the engine is off power breaks will have 2 or so significant break pumps left in them with which to stop the car. Lots of us do this all the time with care and attention... it can be done safely and without significant engine wear when you practice and get good at it.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.