Thread: VX wrong trans
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379Kcivic View Post
I paid $450 for a CX/VX (or at least I thought, see post above...!) that has 79K miles and is covered by the installer for 6 months (the replacement trans I have coming has 84K). I found cheaper units, some as cheap as 300, but they had higher miles and only came with a 90 day warranty. I plan to slowly but surely restore this car and wanted to get parts that I felt pretty confident would last for several years.

**So does anyone know if the distance traveled for the shifter or 'shift throw' of a CX/VX trans would be the same as a DX/LX trans? Will the quality of the shift feel as good?
It should all be quite similar. It's a really tight ship. One part bolts on with the others, interchangable across the trim lines and often generations. The VX gearing is better, but it might be entirely because of the final drive gear. When I was researching the gearing a couple months ago, I noticed that some of the trans have the same gearing and make their difference with the final drive.

BTW, why not get a factory trans? As I recall, they are not a lot more pricey than this (labor excluded) and they would be new? Something I don't know about the costs or availability? Did you look into it?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.