View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
A question I have is... once calibrated how long would the UG mileage gauge become. Because when I calibrate it now I see variation tank to tank as to how close to spot-on it is relative to the ODO. Maybe EOC messes with the UG's numbers a little, on the margins. Probably the only answer is an MPGuino, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
In the past I always used my car's odometer to measure mileage.

Early in 2011 I got an MPGuino, andin April competed in the 2011 Green Grand Prix (GGP). Planning for that event, I borrowed a GPS so I could calibrate the MPGuino as precisely as possible. I had about a 300 mile drive up to the GGP which gave me plenty mileage to compare the trip odometer with the GPS. I dialed in the MPGuino so it was now very closely matched to the GPS data, and subsequent driving with the GPS showed that calibration to be consistent.

From the point where I first calibrated the MPGuino based on the GPS, I used the Guino numbers in my gas log. When I later changed tires I tested it again and made an adjustment to the Guino setting to match the other tires.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.