View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I'm convinced of the value of snow tires if you have snow and/or ice in your area. Put them on all four wheels. You'll be passing 4WD beasts with worn "all seasons" if you care to.

I got a set of Michelin X Ice 2's for last winter. They were superb, especially on ice. 51 psi max, and I found they were fully capable of more. Handled like really good all seasons. Looks like they've modified the model name for this year; I haven't read into the details of any changes to the new version.

For non winter use I'm running Kumho eco Solus HM KR22. I wanted Michelins which were currently unavailable, and still unavailable, so I got the Kumho's as I needed tires right then, not later. They ran fine for maybe 15-20K miles but now the tread sound is uneven as they roll. I got rid of my prior Kumho's due to belt separation that caused unevenness; so next time I'll go with a more "standard" upscale brand. Michilin if available (currently not). If I needed all seasons now, I'd probably get the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.