Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Planet Express Ship - '94 Geo Prizm LSI
90 day: 36.57 mpg (US)
Recommendations for tires in size 185-65-R14

Looking to replace the tires on my car, one of them is likely punctured, and long enough ago that the shop won't fix it, and since the fronts were not wearing all that evenly I'd rather replace all four rather than just two.

Priorities are for good traction on the dry, wet, or snowy conditions in the winter. Would consider tires rated low rolling resistance, but that depends on the additional cost/tire vs a normal tire.

Current set is 4 matched Hankook h418 tires, UTQG rating of 440AA iirc, and a max cold inflation pressure of 44 psig. A new set of these would cost around 400 - the rebate for one tire at the tire shop. They grip ok in the dry, but were only so-so in the wet and or snow.

Considering the goodyear assurance fuel max tires, 51 psig max cold inflation pressure, but only so-so in the wet according to reviews.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I'm convinced of the value of snow tires if you have snow and/or ice in your area. Put them on all four wheels. You'll be passing 4WD beasts with worn "all seasons" if you care to.

I got a set of Michelin X Ice 2's for last winter. They were superb, especially on ice. 51 psi max, and I found they were fully capable of more. Handled like really good all seasons. Looks like they've modified the model name for this year; I haven't read into the details of any changes to the new version.

For non winter use I'm running Kumho eco Solus HM KR22. I wanted Michelins which were currently unavailable, and still unavailable, so I got the Kumho's as I needed tires right then, not later. They ran fine for maybe 15-20K miles but now the tread sound is uneven as they roll. I got rid of my prior Kumho's due to belt separation that caused unevenness; so next time I'll go with a more "standard" upscale brand. Michilin if available (currently not). If I needed all seasons now, I'd probably get the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I'm convinced of the value of snow tires if you have snow and/or ice in your area. Put them on all four wheels. You'll be passing 4WD beasts with worn "all seasons" if you care to.

I got a set of Michelin X Ice 2's for last winter. They were superb, especially on ice. 51 psi max, and I found they were fully capable of more. Handled like really good all seasons. Looks like they've modified the model name for this year; I haven't read into the details of any changes to the new version.

For non winter use I'm running Kumho eco Solus HM KR22. I wanted Michelins which were currently unavailable, and still unavailable, so I got the Kumho's as I needed tires right then, not later. They ran fine for maybe 15-20K miles but now the tread sound is uneven as they roll. I got rid of my prior Kumho's due to belt separation that caused unevenness; so next time I'll go with a more "standard" upscale brand. Michilin if available (currently not). If I needed all seasons now, I'd probably get the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.
I don't really have the space to store a second set of wheels and tires for the alternate season. I understand that dedicated summer and winter tires will handle each condition better and that anything else is a compromise. If I had some place to store them properly I would consider it.

However as I currently do not I need to evaluate either seeing if the place will repair/ replace the tire that has a puncture either as a part of the road hazard warranty or prorate its replacement, however, I'm not that sold on these Korean tires. They were claimed to be a 60,000 mile tire, but have shown noticeable amounts of wear more on the edges of the front tires, I may want to find a decent alignment shop check, but it feels like the car is tracking straight, and that the wear there is due more to the steering loads, and potentially not always checking the pressure every single day/ every single fuel stop, as they were usually consistent for a long time, at least before the right rear got a puncture.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I happened into a set of Nokian WR g2 for $250 on AL rims that would fit Stratus, though they haven't hit snow yet I believe they are one of the few All season tires with a Snow Ice rating and 50,000 warranty and green leaf which I think means LRR. I was just looking for rims and found a good setup. I'm pleased enough already I'm thinking the Impala deserves a set of them.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the turd - '88 honda civic 4dr DX
90 day: 73.51 mpg (US)
go to tirerack.com you can get all the info you need from them and there prices are some of the best around. i picked up 4 yokohama avid-s 185/65/14 for 57.00 each and a set of 4 firestone winterforce 175/75/13 for 54.00 each.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've used tirerack.com to do some research, however if you order the tires from them you need to pay the shipping separately, and then find a local shop to install them. The shipping charges seem to me to cost as much as if not more so than the actual retail price of the tires, assuming you could find them locally, the cheapest tires available in my size are the yokohama avid-s at 60 each + around 40 to ship them (or around 300 + the road hazard waranty+ finding a shop who will install tires you didn't buy from them, the good shops will do this, the bad ones won't so avoid them...). However they are only temperature rated b for speeds from 100 to 115, the old tires were good for 115+ mph, not that I'll need to go that quickly or that the car will run that fast. I do however like knowing that they won't blow up at speed, as that can have disastrous consequences. The good news is the higher tread wear rating over the h418s and the higher max inflation pressure, although I'll still need to do some more research.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the turd - '88 honda civic 4dr DX
90 day: 73.51 mpg (US)
well i checked around here and it was cheeper to get them from tirerack with shipping then my local tireshop, thay put them on for only 8.00 each, and he was surprize that with the shipping it was less then what he can get for the same tires. speed rateing is not a big thing sence im only going 50-65mph most of the time, and yes i do take it out and bring it up to 110mph to 120mph sometimes, oh also some of the tireshops get blem tires which have cosmedict defexs which i dont wont and thay get them cheaper and sell at the reguler price, also depending were you live and what type of shipping you get or were the tires are comeing from tirerack thay have 4 or 5 warehouses in the U.S.A. most of mine come from LA. just south about 2 states away.

Reply  Post New Thread