View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Something like the "Iron Butt Rally"? They start at and return to one point and cover the whole country, and sometimes Canada, take pictures of themselves and/or motorcycles and/or rally towels that have their rally numbers on, with their rally points in the background( think statue, road sign, boat,...), now. First runs were to the four corners of the US. Current IBRallys are about scheduling and time/sleep management. Some of the places take longer to get to, but are worth more points. It's such a huge endeavor, that they only run it every other year, but a scaled down version could be run yearly.
Very cool. And quite a bit like what I proposed above too. I would do this, and maybe bring my daughter along. She is getting into the car a little. The scheduling and time/sleep management parts are a bit like what redyaris proposes too. I just think, however, that the more the competition turns on specific measures such as fuel, the more difficult and costly regulating fairness will become. Checkpoints would be at least a little more complex to organize, regulate, and coordinate. So I would opt for an even simpler plan: get the pics in the places and get to the destination when you can but before a specific deadline.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.