Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Something like the "Iron Butt Rally"? They start at and return to one point and cover the whole country, and sometimes Canada, take pictures of themselves and/or motorcycles and/or rally towels that have their rally numbers on, with their rally points in the background( think statue, road sign, boat,...), now. First runs were to the four corners of the US. Current IBRallys are about scheduling and time/sleep management. Some of the places take longer to get to, but are worth more points. It's such a huge endeavor, that they only run it every other year, but a scaled down version could be run yearly.
Very cool. And quite a bit like what I proposed above too. I would do this, and maybe bring my daughter along. She is getting into the car a little. The scheduling and time/sleep management parts are a bit like what redyaris proposes too. I just think, however, that the more the competition turns on specific measures such as fuel, the more difficult and costly regulating fairness will become. Checkpoints would be at least a little more complex to organize, regulate, and coordinate. So I would opt for an even simpler plan: get the pics in the places and get to the destination when you can but before a specific deadline.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
bennelson- I know a couple Indie film guys, if this does go anywhere, I could ask if they would be interested.

GPS tracking could be used to ensure( at least a little anyway) no out of the ordinary( fuel) stops.

Just had a brainwave; participants register ahead of time and purchase a locking gas cap from Rally staff( at cost) that one key will be maintained by Staff and used at designated fuel stops and the other key is given to the participants in a sealed envelope for emergencies. Penalties levied if envelopes' seal is broken. Staffers would run ahead to the fuel stops while participants were stopped. IBR does something similar with drivers licenses to promote legal driving. If a police officer asks for your license( for a speeding ticket) you loose points.

Kind of putting the cart before the horse as a rally format hasn't even been discussed, I know. I don't always think linearly.

I wouldn't mind helping get something going, but, like California98Civic, I'd REALLY like to participate.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Locked gas cap might be very workable to support an FE competition. Spare key in sealed envelope as discussed above.

Most of us are in the habit of stretching fillups till (absolutely?) necessary - thus minimizing the FE loss due to stopping. But the prescribed stops would be uniform for all cars, so it would be pretty fair, at least in my humble opinion. I like it.

I'm interested in participating.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I think we would want to stay away from locked gas caps, "check-points", etc.

Ideally, we would want this to be lowest barrier to entry as possible.

One of the issues with the X-Prize is that there was a pretty stiff entry fee ($5000?)

Ideally, I would love to have this where people could "self-report". If anyone participating could use a Scan-Guage for tracking fuel use, and a Kill-a-watt for EV charging, and take a photo at each fueling, we wouldn't need an entire team of people looking over everyone else's shoulders.

Unless there was some great-big valuable prize, there's no need for cheating. Instead, participants would want to show off as much as possible. Post photos through the blogs, twitter their current fuel economy, etc. If somebody had a really unbelievable fuel log, anyone else should be able to say "prove it" and see some photos or other data to back it up.

I would love to get a squad of indie film-makers involved. I know from experience that it's really hard to drive a car, film it, and blog about it all at the same time.

If I were doing an eco-road-trip, I would definately want somebody riding shotgun who knew how to use a video camera and a smart phone. (Daox, where are ya?)

I like some of the ideas from the old Mobil fuel economy run. I read a book a while back about all the driving competitions of the early 1900's. They were AMAZING! The guys would have to drain the radiators at night, and refill them in the morning so that the water wouldn't freeze during cold nights. Anti-freeze hadn't been invented yet!

I'd love to re-create some of that old-time excitement of adventure, discovery, and pushing new technology.

Running extension cords out hotel room windows to EVs? Heck ya! I want to see it! Begging for veggie oil from the fast food place? Yes! Yes! Yes! Strange looks from passing drivers!? You Bet!

I do know that putting together any kind of big event is a lot of work. I certainly can't do it all myself. If we get some folks involved who are good with video, good web designers, co-ordinate volunteers, I think we could really have something.

I also wouldn't be against some sort of event with a "flag-ship" vehicle. After talking to some people about the Green Machine Experiment concept, there was mention of having the main vehicle meet up with other folks around the country. Drive with them a ways. Charge up at other 'modded transportation enthusiasts' homes and businesses, etc.

Right now, I really don't have any vehicle that would merit ANY kind of media attention. A Geo Metro really isn't that sexy. Even 144V of used lead acid isn't going to get me through any mountains or deserts.

i did get offers from a few people about lending a hand to build a "sexy" long-range EV. Even for that to happen, I would still need a major donor or sponsor to afford the required batteries.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
brucepick (11-04-2011), Vekke (11-04-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Hey, my trunk is small. :-(

This is something that I would be interested in. I like the locking gas cap idea. Normal rally races judge by times through legs of the race. However, since we judging based on fuel economy, not speed, we should focus on something other than time. Prearranged gas stations could be set up in 300-500 mile increments (the legs), and each vehicle would be ranked by the fuel consumed during that leg. If you can't make the gas station without breaking into your "emergency envelope," it would be the equivalent of breaking down in an actual rally.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Why not just seal fuel filling door with some security tape - if you need to open it, you broke seal. Much easier/cheaper to use than lockable fuel caps. That could be similar tape that get used around hand in mass-events.

edit...
made quick search and I think something like this.
http://www.leghornseals.com/internat...wristband.html
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
If it costs a lot people wont like to participate so much. In finland ecorallys cost 40 to 60€ depending on the class. IMO that is way too much to test your driving skills. To drive long distances with least fuel is fun if there are also other cars on the same route. If you drive 1000 miles in a one day on your own its boring.

The less rules you have more cheaper will it be. If you watch how top gear uk or gumball rallyes makes their road trips that is the rigth way to make good entertainment. For that you will need that good cameraman and few cameras. Also cameratruck would be nice.

Gas stations are pretty easy to get "sponsors" in a such event if there will be lots of cars filling their tanks. they can give discounts on food and maybe even fuel, because its a good race. They might even promote the event in the press if their stations are the only ones where you fill...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
So, kind of a Eco-Road Trip that is a promotional/awareness event. Honor system on the fuel logs. Easy enough for existing vehicles that can link back to fuel logs on this or other sites to show they were getting nearly their numbers before. People who can't make it for the whole run could join up, meeting at prearranged stages or joining on the road. Car cams in and/or outside for streaming and post production.

Something like this?

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I agree, Jethro. In my experience, if you take yourself too seriously, no one will take you seriously at all.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
BIG fan of the not-so-serious.

So, what are we looking for? Cross country? West-East, East-West, Two starting points meeting in the middle( Junction City, KS is pretty close on I-70 IIRC), Four corners meeting in the middle?

Quote:
Boat tail project
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
big, documentary, electric, movie, project, road-trip