View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I think we would want to stay away from locked gas caps, "check-points", etc.

Ideally, we would want this to be lowest barrier to entry as possible.

One of the issues with the X-Prize is that there was a pretty stiff entry fee ($5000?)

Ideally, I would love to have this where people could "self-report". If anyone participating could use a Scan-Guage for tracking fuel use, and a Kill-a-watt for EV charging, and take a photo at each fueling, we wouldn't need an entire team of people looking over everyone else's shoulders.

Unless there was some great-big valuable prize, there's no need for cheating. Instead, participants would want to show off as much as possible. Post photos through the blogs, twitter their current fuel economy, etc. If somebody had a really unbelievable fuel log, anyone else should be able to say "prove it" and see some photos or other data to back it up.

I would love to get a squad of indie film-makers involved. I know from experience that it's really hard to drive a car, film it, and blog about it all at the same time.

If I were doing an eco-road-trip, I would definately want somebody riding shotgun who knew how to use a video camera and a smart phone. (Daox, where are ya?)

I like some of the ideas from the old Mobil fuel economy run. I read a book a while back about all the driving competitions of the early 1900's. They were AMAZING! The guys would have to drain the radiators at night, and refill them in the morning so that the water wouldn't freeze during cold nights. Anti-freeze hadn't been invented yet!

I'd love to re-create some of that old-time excitement of adventure, discovery, and pushing new technology.

Running extension cords out hotel room windows to EVs? Heck ya! I want to see it! Begging for veggie oil from the fast food place? Yes! Yes! Yes! Strange looks from passing drivers!? You Bet!

I do know that putting together any kind of big event is a lot of work. I certainly can't do it all myself. If we get some folks involved who are good with video, good web designers, co-ordinate volunteers, I think we could really have something.

I also wouldn't be against some sort of event with a "flag-ship" vehicle. After talking to some people about the Green Machine Experiment concept, there was mention of having the main vehicle meet up with other folks around the country. Drive with them a ways. Charge up at other 'modded transportation enthusiasts' homes and businesses, etc.

Right now, I really don't have any vehicle that would merit ANY kind of media attention. A Geo Metro really isn't that sexy. Even 144V of used lead acid isn't going to get me through any mountains or deserts.

i did get offers from a few people about lending a hand to build a "sexy" long-range EV. Even for that to happen, I would still need a major donor or sponsor to afford the required batteries.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
brucepick (11-04-2011), Vekke (11-04-2011)