View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
johnunit
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20terminator View Post
I knew mentioning that I was catless would be my doom on Ecomodder but I have no intensions of ruining this already messed up planet even a catless Honda polutes less than most v8's with, and most motorcycles don't have cats and we won't mention semis and there diesels lol not pickin a fight just so were clear I can't wait to smog test my car I want to know, funny was watching topgear they said a modern porsche exhausts cleaner air in L.A then is present that city is gone though I like la no beef just and interesting fact
You'll find this out when you smog test it, but this is just innacurate.

Here in Ontario, a non-catted 4cyl car will generally fail the e-test. I've seen new V8 SUV's come in at 1 100/th of the limit for certain emissions. NOX I think? And 1/10th or less is the norm for a decent running vehicle of any modern type in all categories. For a car that was at even half the allowable pollution level here in terms of PPM to pollute less than, say, a 4.6L 04ish Explorer, it'd need to have an average exhaust volume for a given time/distance of probably 1/10th the explorer's or less.

As a shop grunt I do a lot of taking cars to and from the smog centers and I'm continually amazed at how little pollutants most modern cars put out compared to the limit, and how many orders of magnitude more than normal a car that fails is polluting.

All that said, your project is interesting and I hope you keep this thread updated. Mixtures of performance and economy are always a good read.