Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b20terminator View Post
I knew mentioning that I was catless would be my doom on Ecomodder but I have no intensions of ruining this already messed up planet even a catless Honda polutes less than most v8's with, and most motorcycles don't have cats and we won't mention semis and there diesels lol not pickin a fight just so were clear I can't wait to smog test my car I want to know, funny was watching topgear they said a modern porsche exhausts cleaner air in L.A then is present that city is gone though I like la no beef just and interesting fact
You'll find this out when you smog test it, but this is just innacurate.

Here in Ontario, a non-catted 4cyl car will generally fail the e-test. I've seen new V8 SUV's come in at 1 100/th of the limit for certain emissions. NOX I think? And 1/10th or less is the norm for a decent running vehicle of any modern type in all categories. For a car that was at even half the allowable pollution level here in terms of PPM to pollute less than, say, a 4.6L 04ish Explorer, it'd need to have an average exhaust volume for a given time/distance of probably 1/10th the explorer's or less.

As a shop grunt I do a lot of taking cars to and from the smog centers and I'm continually amazed at how little pollutants most modern cars put out compared to the limit, and how many orders of magnitude more than normal a car that fails is polluting.

All that said, your project is interesting and I hope you keep this thread updated. Mixtures of performance and economy are always a good read.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
tesla street fighter

Wink lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
Please put the cat back on the car. Your car is poluting really bad without it and also it won't hurt your fuel mileage

What is this? Dude put ur cat back on for reals hondas are terrible with nox hc co emissions and fuel consumption thus the reason they were bot required to use a cat for ten years after most vechiles needed them to pass emissions... Lucky no vtec on that ls b20 it might increase volumetric effiency and help lower emissions and raise mpg... Lol I just thought that would b funny to post cuz Honda has came up with impressive tech based on improvement in mpg emissions and power... Nsx clarity and vtec for example... And the upgraded intake is better then factory allowing improved volumwtric effiency and more complete combustion to occur.. as for cat well they don't function till they heat up to 1000 degrees f approx and that's when vehicle will enter closed loop until then car is less efficient only running on map maf ckp cps tps cts to function... With how many drive without there car even warming up before they get to there destination I wouldn't worry about a car with no cat running at operating temperature and cruise rpm were its designed to be most Effeciant... Besides with 36mpg your doing more good then damage to the earth... That's my opinion... But there's always bicycles if all else fails lol
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
tesla street fighter

36 mpg is helping more then its hurting running with no cat... Many are catless special interest or not high school is were most polluting vehicles with b found... Fossil fuels are what is hurting the enviroment why polish a turd? Electric or hydrogen is were its at