View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
May as well introduce myself! I've been perusing the site since I stumbled across it last week, after finding several articles on the Aerocivic, after googling "improving fuel mileage" or something similar.

My car: 2005 Civic EX coupe, power steering removed, some weight reduction. I've used the car to autocross in the past which was why I originally removed the power steering and tried to lighten it up a little, but I'm more interested in efficiency now that I have a long commute (~45 miles freeway) and gas prices are going nowhere but up. I have height-adjustable coilovers on it too which I installed last year and dropped the car 1". Yesterday, I dropped it another 1"-1.5", and we'll see what that does to the mileage.

Future plans: sell autocross wheels and tires (my weekend work schedule will prevent me from autocrossing anyway for the foreseeable future) and pick up some 14" steelies with LRR tires and solid covers; grill block(s), remove outside mirrors (in Illinois, I guess I could get away with just the center rearview, the way the vehicle code is written...but I want to add convex mirrors inside. If anyone can recommend a good model, I'd be much obliged), possibly look at lowering the front airdam (not sure, though--I've read on here that you want the dam to be lower than the lowest hanging suspension component on the car, and right now it looks like it might be lower than everything but the catalytic converter). Long-term: I'm not sure--spoiler? Boat-tail? Further weight reduction? Undertray? Remove AC (eek!)?

I've been averaging better than 40mpg just changing my driving habits, and now I'm trying pulse-and-glide with the engine in neutral around town and driving slower on the interstate (55-60mph), so I expect that number to go up. I'd like to see if I could get to 50mpg with that and some aerodynamic modification.

Whew, that was long. Sorry!
Welcome! Under good freeway and weather conditions I have seen mid 50s on my trip MPG gauge in steady-state driving. My 1998 Civic is somewhat like your 2005 Civic. Look at my garage entry if you want to see what I have done. But lowering your airdam is cheap and easy. I have wanted to install an undertray, but there is always something to do on the car. That would be good for you too.

BTW, Hondata can tune your ECU for you to alter the fuel maps and improve fuel economy (they are well-known for HP tuning but this is a lesser known activity of theirs). Your 2005 ECU is the first of the K-series, I think, and therefore much more easily tuned than my 1998 computer. You'd have to mail the thing to them, though, with the keys, which is kinda inconvenient with your daily driver.

Oh! If it works well, keep your AC. I removed mine for the weight and because I never used it and it worked only so-so anyway. But they are clutched, so you're main fuel savings will be through simply not using it on all but the hottest days. Tint your windows DARK and with good heat rejecting tint, and you'll be more comfortable and use less AC too.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-09-2012 at 08:44 PM..