View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Since I'm laid up right now anyways, I tried to put in a little more design work into the controller case.

Here, I laid it out to fit within a 12" x 24" area - which is the cutting size available on the laser that I have access to.

I put it so that parts that have straight cuts, overlap with each other, saving the time and laser power of two additional cuts.

Also in this image, I have now added in roughly what I am thinking for LEDs. I'd like to use green LEDs, as they have such a neat look to them. I've never done this before, but I was thinking that if I got smaller ones, I could counter-sink them to embed them right in the clear plastic, where they could be friction fit, or use a drop of super-glue, clear caulk, or something similar.

Here's just a view of the "lid" - the topmost piece.

Note that I mirrored the Open Revolt logo for this. The logo will get cut on the BACK of the plastic, so that it is smooth on the top outside surface. It will stay cleaner and it looks a bit nicer too.

Also on the logo, wherever it is white will be the clear plastic, and wherever it is black will be etched. Please imagine white, lit-up etching wherever the logo is black.

I set a 3/8" hole in the B+ & B- bus bar end for the throttle, power, and pre-charge wires to go through. 3/8 is big enough for a 1/4" spade connector to fit through while a couple other wires are already through the hole.

So, this is what I am thinking so far. Am I missing anything? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I really have no idea how many LEDs I need. I just put a few around all for sides for the heck of it. Maybe I only need them on the two sides closer to the logo?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (04-02-2012)