View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carnut View Post
I am trying to wire a kill switch based on the following post.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post157489

The post is pretty clear so I think I know what to do regarding wiring to the PGM FI but I need help with the switch. Instead of using a generic switch, I ordered an OEM Cruise On/Off switch that will go in the dash from Ebay. I looked at the wiring diagram for it and I think that I need to use pins 1 and 2 and ground 3 but this is where my questions come in. I have done very little with wiring and I don't want to mess anything up in hooking this up.

1. I was having trouble checking this with continuity tester but finally got it to work. When the switch in pushed in or "on" I get continuity between pins 1 and 2. Can someone confirm what I think I should wire? I think I would take the black wire from the PGM FI and run it to either pin 1 or 2 and then take a wire back from either 1 or 2 back to the PGM FI box. Correct? Do I need the ground on pin 3?
2. What is the best way to wire things up to the switch? Should I try to get the plug with the wires attached that would plug into the switch or can i just solder onto the pins once I know which ones are the correct ones to use?

Thanks in advance.
Your idea for a switch is great! OEM look is cool, when you can get it. But you might otherwise be making this more complicated than necessary. I do not know what the switch looks like, but the design you cite calls for interrupting the ground with the switch. All you need is to cut the ground wire and use butt-splice connectors to link to the switch. It can be very easy. No soldering required. Do I misunderstand something about the switch?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.