View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #58 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Craig never said it would be easy or cheap. And we all know that even if it were, people have to want something like that pretty bad before they go out and build it.
And to add to what Frank said....

I'm looking forward to using my old crusty Honda VF500 for a sleek cruiser, ala Dan Gurney style.

Sure the engine is too big, and I'll admit that I *should* pick something else for a starter bike, but you know what? I get 75 mpg with it now, it has 120,000 miles on the clock, and any savings I get in mileage by changing the bike, are essentially *free* besides the labor. The bike is paid for many times over in fuel savings over even a typical small car.

I can't believe the coastability difference between my Honda Insight car, and the Honda motorcycle. There are hills that I can coast a good half mile in easily with the Insight due to it's smooth exterior, but the bike, I actually have to feed in a small amount of throttle to move down that same hill close to the same speed! It's just amazing how much more air drag the bike has for it's weight compared to the car!

Looking forward to improving the bike aero substantially.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 04-27-2012 at 11:53 PM..