View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Solar reflective auto paint

The findings reported here might be of interest to some of you, especially if you are considering buying a car or repainting yours:

Cool Science: Cool Cars | Heat Island Group | heatisland.lbl.gov

Here's the core point:

Quote:
A light-colored or cool-colored car shell reflects more sunlight than a traditional dark car shell. This cools the cabin air and reduces the need for air conditioning. A recent study found that after parking in the sun for an hour, a silver Honda Civic (shell SR 0.57) had a cabin air temperature about 5-6°C (9-11°F) lower than an otherwise identical black car (shell SR 0.05). Modeling indicates that substituting a silver (or white) shell for a black shell would allow the specification of a 13% smaller (lower capacity) air conditioner, improving fuel economy.
The site cites this study for the above information:

Levinson R, Pan H, Ban-Weiss G, Rosado P, Paolini R, Akbari H., "Potential benefits of solar reflective car shells: Cooler cabins, fuel savings and emission reductions," Applied Energy (2011).
http://heatisland.lbl.gov/publicatio...-and-emission-

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-03-2022), littlecars (07-16-2015), mcrews (07-16-2015)