View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
syncro_user
EcoModding Lurker

Beyond TLC - '89 Volkswagen Golf Syncro Gti
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Gypsy deathtrap - '96 Seat Cordoba Tdi
90 day: 63.56 mpg (US)

Pinky - '00 Opel Corsa
90 day: 39.29 mpg (US)

corsavan - '11 opel corsavan
90 day: 52.41 mpg (US)

cordoba - '01 seat cordoba estate
90 day: 39 mpg (US)
Programmable ignition gave me 44mpg (+10%)

A bit of a lurker on here, me. Have read an awful lot though, and planning to do a fair few bits to my car.

Most encouraged by recent results from fitting a Microsquirt ECU to control the ignition on my mk2 Golf. Previous best ever mileage with the current engine, with mechanical distributor set to optimum, without pinking on 98octane petrol, was 40mpg. Motorway only, at 65mph.

The first proper drive with the new system, with a basic safe map (not yet rolling road optimised), same air temps (although with higher tyre pressures - I'm running at 40psi), 44mpg imperial! Not even all motorway driving, but about 50% country roads.

Just goes to show how far off the old systems can be, and how much of a diffference timing can make. I am now very enthusiastic about using the ECU to do many other things. Hopefully I'll get the fuel injection electronic this summer (still on K-jetronic/CIS for now), and then hopefully a hot air intake sorted before the winter as my FE takes a major dive in the cold weather without one..