View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
syncro_user
EcoModding Lurker

Beyond TLC - '89 Volkswagen Golf Syncro Gti
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Gypsy deathtrap - '96 Seat Cordoba Tdi
90 day: 63.56 mpg (US)

Pinky - '00 Opel Corsa
90 day: 39.29 mpg (US)

corsavan - '11 opel corsavan
90 day: 52.41 mpg (US)

cordoba - '01 seat cordoba estate
90 day: 39 mpg (US)
Mk2 Golf Kamm back - foam it or coroplast?

I'm after some opinions really, as I'm not quite sure what to do next. I'm making a Kamm back for the car, a quick bodge job as I have a long road trip soon. I have got this far:

and my original plan was to make a 'mould' into which to squirt some squirty foam which I could then shape, but looking at it today, I could also make it from coroplast, as I have a couple of sheets knocking around the place.

Coroplast would be simple, as I could just use the cardboard as a template, but it's white so wouldn't look so great (on the other hand I can't see it from inside the car). I won't ever be able to get the shaping 'just so' however.

Squirty foam is messy and sticky, but simple to fix, as it would just stick to the boot frame (old and rusty, and will be used to mould up a new one out of GRP in the future, so messing it up isn't a problem). I can also, with a bit of sanding and filling, get a really nice shape. Lick of paint and it'll look great. I will have to relocate number plate/lights and leave an uncovered part of the rear window for visibility.

Any recommendations?