View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #153 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Ha! Try doing that on I-77 northbound between 3 and 4 PM!

My situation, like everyone else's, is unique. Don't assume that, just because something works for you in your neck of the woods, that it'll work the same for mine.
Precisely. I think this is the take away message to wrap up further arguments (please) -- the situation is different for everyone. I think thread readers should present personal situations or on-topic stories related to fuel saving incidents, instead of "hypotheticals" and rage venting. We don't want this spiraling out of control. I can't point out an EcoDriver from anyone else around here (likely because we're in the vast minority).

Prime example (same area, different driver), I used to drive this exact stretch of road all the time, and once in a while when I come back for work or to visit my folks (last time was April). Yes, rush hour is intense, drivers have to adapt. I drive the limit there in rental cars (more on that in a moment). But, one of the biggest differences between much of NE Ohio and other places is enforcement. You will see more officers set up for speeders in this region (per capita) than most anywhere else. As a teenage licensed driver there from 1993-1999, I was never pulled over (their presence was a reminder to keep speed in check).

Up between Cleveland and Akron on I-77 Southbound (before the I-271 Interchange), there's a sign that reads "Through Traffic Keep Left". With the mass-merging traffic on a short ramp, safety prevails and even speed-limit drivers need to move left (within reason, of course). I haven't seen these situations mentioned yet. Illinois has a law that slower traffic must keep right on Interstates or face an infraction. Lots of places have "Trucks and Vehicles with Trailers Use Right 2-Lanes". I've driven in all 50-States, 7 Canadian Provinces, and in Scotland. I wouldn't drive in Philly the same as in an isolated Montana highway.

People texting-and-driving or inattentively talking on the phone, has by-far been the biggest threat to safety and smooth traffic flow for me lately. Red-light runners are another big problem.

RH77

_
_