Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #151 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
This is getting silly.
And a little off-topic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Your right to travel at your preferred speed somehow trumps my right to do the same?
QFT and thanked.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilseeJ
But these people are NOT hypermilers.
Are you not reading the thread or is your ideology on the matter blinding you? People in this thread are admitting to driving below the PSL no matter what the traffic flow or density is. How is P&G not hazardous to the traffic behind or even beside? How is your teaspoon of fuel saved of any value to the planet when many multiples of that are lost by drivers behind who's only interest is to get to where they are going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffman For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (06-23-2012), t vago (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #153 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Ha! Try doing that on I-77 northbound between 3 and 4 PM!

My situation, like everyone else's, is unique. Don't assume that, just because something works for you in your neck of the woods, that it'll work the same for mine.
Precisely. I think this is the take away message to wrap up further arguments (please) -- the situation is different for everyone. I think thread readers should present personal situations or on-topic stories related to fuel saving incidents, instead of "hypotheticals" and rage venting. We don't want this spiraling out of control. I can't point out an EcoDriver from anyone else around here (likely because we're in the vast minority).

Prime example (same area, different driver), I used to drive this exact stretch of road all the time, and once in a while when I come back for work or to visit my folks (last time was April). Yes, rush hour is intense, drivers have to adapt. I drive the limit there in rental cars (more on that in a moment). But, one of the biggest differences between much of NE Ohio and other places is enforcement. You will see more officers set up for speeders in this region (per capita) than most anywhere else. As a teenage licensed driver there from 1993-1999, I was never pulled over (their presence was a reminder to keep speed in check).

Up between Cleveland and Akron on I-77 Southbound (before the I-271 Interchange), there's a sign that reads "Through Traffic Keep Left". With the mass-merging traffic on a short ramp, safety prevails and even speed-limit drivers need to move left (within reason, of course). I haven't seen these situations mentioned yet. Illinois has a law that slower traffic must keep right on Interstates or face an infraction. Lots of places have "Trucks and Vehicles with Trailers Use Right 2-Lanes". I've driven in all 50-States, 7 Canadian Provinces, and in Scotland. I wouldn't drive in Philly the same as in an isolated Montana highway.

People texting-and-driving or inattentively talking on the phone, has by-far been the biggest threat to safety and smooth traffic flow for me lately. Red-light runners are another big problem.

RH77

_
_
Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #154 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
It's simple, really.

If you can't keep up with the flow of traffic, for whatever reason, then stay out of the passing lane.

If you see a cop just sitting there parked in the median, and your instinctive reaction is to slow down to well below the posted speed limit, even though you never-ever go above the posted speed limit yourself, then stay out of the passing lane.

If you simply must pass that semi that's going all of 0.5 MPH slower than you are, wait until the passing lane is clear. Don't wait until you see in your rear view mirror somebody in the passing lane who's obviously going faster than you are, then suddenly decide to cut that somebody off to pass that semi. It seems odd that you'd want to pass that semi anyway, given that it would be more logical for you slow down instead of passing said semi.

And if, for whatever reason, you find yourself driving in the passing lane anyhow - if you see a bunch of cars passing you on the right, that should be taken as a hint to remove yourself from the passing lane.

Sometimes, I sorely miss driving in Europe. At least they know road etiquette.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #155 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Prime example (same area, different driver), I used to drive this exact stretch of road all the time, and once in a while when I come back for work or to visit my folks (last time was April). Yes, rush hour is intense, drivers have to adapt.
Oh, yes. The I-76 merge exit on I-77 North is especially fun, as is the de facto drag race strip after SR 21 merges onto I-77 North.

Quote:
I drive the limit there in rental cars (more on that in a moment). But, one of the biggest differences between much of NE Ohio and other places is enforcement. You will see more officers set up for speeders in this region (per capita) than most anywhere else. As a teenage licensed driver there from 1993-1999, I was never pulled over (their presence was a reminder to keep speed in check).
It's amazing, truly it is. I will see two or three cops every single day on I-480 and I-77 South, just sitting there. Sometimes, if I take SR 8 instead, I'll see one sitting right there right before the Front St. exit. They're a lot less active once you get to Stark County, though.

Quote:
Up between Cleveland and Akron on I-77 Southbound (before the I-271 Interchange), there's a sign that reads "Through Traffic Keep Left". With the mass-merging traffic on a short ramp, safety prevails and even speed-limit drivers need to move left (within reason, of course).
Yah, that's a fun little stretch. I-77 Northbound is almost as bad in that vicinity.

Quote:
People texting-and-driving or inattentively talking on the phone, has by-far been the biggest threat to safety and smooth traffic flow for me lately. Red-light runners are another big problem.
Ugh. I see this a lot, too, along with the occasional wildly gesticulating driver. On my homebound commutes, I also see the occasional semi that can't quite seem to decide what lane it wants to be in.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #156 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Are you not reading the thread or is your ideology on the matter blinding you? People in this thread are admitting to driving below the PSL no matter what the traffic flow or density is.
Fallacy: Appeal to Common Practice

Quote:
How is P&G not hazardous to the traffic behind or even beside?
Fallacy: Burden of Proof

Quote:
How is your teaspoon of fuel saved of any value to the planet when many multiples of that are lost by drivers behind who's only interest is to get to where they are going.
I'm not defending, nor I have I tried to defend anyone who does this for an extended period of time.

Last edited by HilseeJ; 06-23-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #157 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I have a 1 lane(per side) 100 mile long highway leaving my city, it has signs posted alerting all slow traffic to pull over and let vehicles pass. I notice the ignorant driver with the line up behind him never pulls over at these designated areas. The 0.1% of selfishly slow drivers hold up 99.99% of the populous.
Rather then a fine for these slow drivers a 7 day suspension with a tow the first offense a 30 day suspension the next offense, 3rd offense 5 year suspension. We seriously do not want to have these guys and their children's children out there causing traffic jams and accidents for the next 100 years, they need to be dealt with. Swiftly, unlike their driving.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #158 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Those damn hypermilers!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #159 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
They do not drive with any skill short of the slow speed corner, not near enough skill to be called a hypermiler.
nice try UFO trying to gain support in your plight?
They may well be giving hypermilers a bad name.
They may save on gas but it's at everyones time & expense in wasted fuel having to ride their brakes behind the slow speed leader.
Face it UFO the drivers i have a problem with everyone has a problem with.
Well lets make that almost everyone. 99.9 % are displeased with the driver who picks some random speed below the speed limit and makes it today's speed for everyone.
We have all seen a dangerous pass made by someone desperate to get past a driver going below the posted speed limit and we have all seen these same slow drivers pull off the highway at a incredibly dangerous slow speed, I think these guys are causing more of accidents then anyone suspects.
It could be incompetency more then deliberate bad manners.

Last edited by ecomodded; 06-24-2012 at 03:51 AM..
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #160 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
IF you ride your brakes behind anybody, you need to re-think your driving tactics.

Oh wait, I have a term for it : Pulse and brake!
The clueless who are so aggressive as to run up and brake, run up and brake ad nauseam.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Reply  Post New Thread