View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
First, welcome to hyperaccent for joining EM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
Neil is dead on. It's better to run a true snow/winter tire than any other tire in those conditions. All-Season tires just don't cut it in temps below 40F even when it's dry out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
So, yes a second set of tires costs more money, but you have much better traction than any all-season and better fuel economy all year, too.
Agreed -- all-season tires are purpose-built to compromise in each weather condition, to make up for another (and consequently compromise FE in each condition as well). I had a set of Blizzak W50's on an Evo one Winter -- the realization of how good snow tires are, has been so easy to recognize from that experience. Those who haven't tried them, should definitely consider 2 sets if justified for region and overall convenience -- I had to swap out OEM Summer-only treads, but everyone's case is different (I'm glad that I had to because those tires were amazing!)

Another polarizing discussion is that of over-inflation for a quality tire. I have been hesistant to bump up the PSI on the Dunlops (since they were new), especially with the decline in wet-weather stability.

RH77

_
_