Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
Neil is dead on. It's better to run a true snow/winter tire than any other tire in those conditions. All-Season tires just don't cut it in temps below 40F even when it's dry out.

FWIW the Fuel Max tires are not that great. You're Probably better off with the Michelin Defender. The fuel economy should be close and the Defender is rated to last 25,000 miles longer and is cheaper! The Fuel Max's tend to wear out the center bar if overinflated as well. From a purely economical standpoint get the Defender then buy a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi2 winter tires. The Michelin $70 rebates make them affordable. The rolling resistance on those and the Nokian Hakkapellitta tires is excellent!

2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
First, welcome to hyperaccent for joining EM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
Neil is dead on. It's better to run a true snow/winter tire than any other tire in those conditions. All-Season tires just don't cut it in temps below 40F even when it's dry out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
So, yes a second set of tires costs more money, but you have much better traction than any all-season and better fuel economy all year, too.
Agreed -- all-season tires are purpose-built to compromise in each weather condition, to make up for another (and consequently compromise FE in each condition as well). I had a set of Blizzak W50's on an Evo one Winter -- the realization of how good snow tires are, has been so easy to recognize from that experience. Those who haven't tried them, should definitely consider 2 sets if justified for region and overall convenience -- I had to swap out OEM Summer-only treads, but everyone's case is different (I'm glad that I had to because those tires were amazing!)

Another polarizing discussion is that of over-inflation for a quality tire. I have been hesistant to bump up the PSI on the Dunlops (since they were new), especially with the decline in wet-weather stability.

RH77

_
_
Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
From a purely economical standpoint
From a purely economical standpoint... buy used tires

Easy to find at private tire shops or on Craigslist. They depreciate faster than new cars. Buy something with 80% of its life left for 25% the cost of new tires. That said, your choices will be quite limited.

I am certainly a fan of snow tires/summer tires. The way I always put it is "All season tires suck all the time"
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
From a purely economical standpoint... buy used tires

Easy to find at private tire shops or on Craigslist. They depreciate faster than new cars. Buy something with 80% of its life left for 25% the cost of new tires. That said, your choices will be quite limited.

I am certainly a fan of snow tires/summer tires. The way I always put it is "All season tires suck all the time"
True but it can be quite difficult to find the tire you want in the size you need.

The all-season analogy works except for mpg. The Energy Saver A/S rules in fuel efficiency.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Bridgestone Ecopias

Well, I decided to go with the Bridgestone Ecopia (about a month or so ago). Thanks to Daox and others for the recommend

So far, comparing worn Dunlops to fully-treaded Bridgestones can only apply to traction and noise. This is merely the "butt dyno" at work, but it seems the RR is just a fraction more (really informally, based on coasting distances in similar weather and load conditions). Again, it's unfair to blame additional tread depth.

The tires have a subtle grumble at high speeds -- almost like engine noise, but you really have to listen for it, to notice it. With the radio on a low volume, it's not there.

What has returned, is the Insight's numb, on-center steering feel and crosswind push. Simply, the additional tread adds a "squishy" delay to the front and rear response to steering input.

The vehicle shares primary drivers depending on my work assignments, so I haven't taken it for a spin for a while. FE is similar to previous.

The plan is to rotate them more and check alignment. 27K miles on the OEMs were very disappointing. I have more confidence in the Bridgestone brand, so hopefully they will deliver.

-RH77

_
_
Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I like my bridgestones ecopias, hope you will too!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
I like my bridgestones ecopias, hope you will too!
What tire pressure are you running, if I may ask?

_
_
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
max side wall, 44psi. or a tad higher.