View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Weather Spotter
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Well I started building a beta nose cone

Before:

I started by doing something I had never done before, taking off the front bumper cover.

then I started looking for good mount points. First place to look was the OEM locations (why re engineer if I do not have too). I found one that I can make use of:

then I found a second point that should work well as a bottom mount point:

The bolt is my mounting method (surplus tractor wheel weight bolt, that I just knew would be useful some day ). At first I was going to use a 2x4 chunk and screw it from the back side. this I did and found that it sagged too much

then it was time to see if my board would make a nice round shape:

then I added a bottom support to hold the shape in the back:

Total forward projection 18". the plan is to use alum flashing to go from the round board to the top of the existing grill bock. then slope down to match the bottom of the headlights. there will also be some more fame made to support this flashing because it is so thin.

My thought for hood release access is to make an open able small door right in front of the existing upper grill block, might use a thumb screw or key lock to hold it shut. At this point I do not plan on having the nose cone and hood touch, just gap it a small amount to prevent damage.

Now what I need is a plan for controlling air flow to the radiator. I desire a method that is electricity remotely controlled. My old furnace grate trick might work if I can get some new ones the right size. the radiator is 25" wide so there is no need to be any wider then that though my old one was 32" wide with 78sq in of open area. My thought was to make a hole in the front board that was ~25" by 3 or 4 high.

x out area:

the back side I plan to frame the opening for added strength and then use the same board type to make a duct wall back to the radiator edges (stopping 2-3 in away with the board and using foam for the rest to provide a crush zone). I might also use the boards to make the duct top.

My actuators for the old grill block will move about 1/2 inch.
Ideas?
advice?