View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Weather Spotter
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Well the car is almost drivable, just need to let some stuff cure up and then attach it and I am ready to roll

I still am not sure how i want to make the new grill block so I left it closed in for now. (its just rebelling and deciding to be in winter mode)

Here is what I got done before I grabbed my camera: (cow catcher look)

I added the top of the air duct (there is a center baffle to allow for 1/2 air flow options)

Can you spot the issue area?
hint it has my first attempt to fix it covering it

started adding flashing:

Here I used some leftover 24gauge steel for the harder to shape areas as I needed the holding strength. it was left over from the bell pan.

Almost done, just have to make the removable section so I can open the hood. this is turning out to be harder then I was expecting it to be. its a complicated shape and bending sheet metal to fit well is almost imposable. I would have to use 10-12 screws to hold it down and sill it would not be nice ans smooth.

I finally have the car on a almost flat spot and can measure the height off the ground, its about 8.5"

Now to make the removable piece I decided that fiberglass might be the answer. I can form it into place then when its cured it will be thin, removable, strong, and hopefully smooth. I decided to first use alum foil to make a rough mold and then fill it with foam:

this will give the piece some depth to hold it in place and keep the fiberglass in the right shape. The fiberglass is now curing, then I can take it out and remove as much of the foil as I can. then some sanding and it "should pop right in". to hold it in I was thinking of getting a key lock and using that to prevent the piece from coming out unless I want it to. or i might just screw it down.

other ideas?