View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
The misadventures, the why, and a bit of how to.

The road-trip has commonly been used as a structure for books and films. Ever read Tom Sawyer? All that was was a road-trip (OK, river trip...) with episodic adventures as they go down the river.

My life has been a bit of a "trip" the last few years too!
Twain's humorous story telling is a good model. But I think you mean The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which continues the Tom Sawyer tale in a sense and features the famous raft trip down the Mississippi. That tale also has something in common with you, which is a social issue it wants to put front and center. In Twain's case, slavery and race. In yours, something about ecology? I would suggest brainstorming... not only about what the great incidences have been in your adventures but also about larger meanings--in addition to technical lessons--that might link your chapters. Even if you do not write narrative and go for chapter essays or vignettes, your book will need themes that link it as a whole.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.