View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #476 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
FC - That is truly amazing! Over 500 miles on that LGT Wagon is pretty stupendous!

We're back in school over here, so one of my typical drives is to the kid's school and back... I have a couple of trip logs for Helga where I've been capturing details of the drive 'to' school and the drive 'from' school... There is an elevation difference of about 400ft from home to school, though the route dips down 200ft before climbing back up. Route is a 50/50 mix of freeway and rural roads.

Normally, a good day driving to the school gets me ~60mpg and a good return trip gets me in the mid-80's for a combined ~70mpg. But there was something magic in the air yesterday and today... (unfortunately I only recorded yesterday in my log) ... yesterday I got over 66mpg going uphill and nearly 100mpg coming back down! Combined FE is nearly 80mpg for the round trip... Today I got even better... 66mpg up and 105mpg down... Wow, Wow, and double-Wow! Definitely my best ever FE round trips (recorded and not recorded) to the school.

Two things that probably helped:
- For each trip, the coolant was already pretty warm... yesterday because Helga had been driven prior to the trip and today because I used the block heater before leaving
- I closed off the gap between the front bumper and the fender liner... though I would be surprised if that made all that much of a difference.

It boggles my mind what could be accomplished if I got serious about the aero on this car (belly pan, skirts, kamm back or boat tail)... whew!