View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Half-axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
If corners and braking do not effect the sound then its probably not the bearings, if it doesn't happen during acceleration then its probably not the half shafts. Leaving sticky brakes.
Re-tested today with these specific ideas in mind. @ ecomodded: cornering and braking change the sound so little as to be insignificant and the sound carries right through acceleration without change except that it speeds up with the wheels, unaffected by RPMs.

It's all about the turning of the front wheels/hubs/axles. All the back ever does is rub a little sometimes while braking, especially if they're still cold. So I took the front wheels off again.

@ Old Mech: there is no ridgeline on the disc, unless the rust on the side edge and the inner hub area counts. But I don't think those areas make any contact with the pads. The shinny contact surface is without ridges or uneven wear.

Hand cranking the front hubs, with no wheels on them, produces the grinding noise. Sounds like bearings. The noise seems strongest on the driver's side, near where the half-axle connects to the transmission housing. But I have tentatively ruled-out the transmission because the sound does not occur at idle and does not vary with RPM. It seems to be only about the rolling of the front wheels/hubs/axles.

I still have to do the more complete brake inspections you describe, Old Mech. Short on time for today.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.