View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrich67 View Post
What transmission fluid are u civic owners running in your 5 speed. My shifts are not feeling as smooth as I think they should. The fluid looks clean but looks thin as well
Royal Purple 5w30 motor oil for several thousand miles now. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrich67 View Post
palemelanesian must be doing something right for getting the mileage he is getting. I wish I could have half of that HAH
I learned by studying palemelanesian's techniques and I'm in the mid 60s mpg. But as he says above, his route and his time practicing are really significant. I'm fairly good at the hypermiling thing now, but my route will never cooperate. This area is hilly, I'm not willing to average super-slow speeds, and my route gets me stopped at lights, with a dozen cars around me, and on steep inclines where the speed limit is 45 or 50 mph. But with mods and hypermiling, I'm in the mid sixties, and the mild weather here should mean I can stay above 60 all winter.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (10-18-2012)