Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
Southern Squidbillie

Accelerating at 15 Hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Oh, and I confirmed my 15-sec 0-40 acceleration.
Thanks for confirming that--so based upon a 2300 lbs vehicle you are accelerating at ~15 Hp.

At 40 mph the online calculator says your combined losses are about 8 Hp, 5 for rolling and 3 for aero. But those 60 psi tires may bring that down even lower.

Wish we had a BSFC chart to see where the 15 Hp curve crosses the contour lines...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybobby View Post
Thanks for confirming that--so based upon a 2300 lbs vehicle you are accelerating at ~15 Hp.

At 40 mph the online calculator says your combined losses are about 8 Hp, 5 for rolling and 3 for aero. But those 60 psi tires may bring that down even lower.

Wish we had a BSFC chart to see where the 15 Hp curve crosses the contour lines...
Can't do averages here like that and there's no point, shifts take time, and he's taking it easy in 1st. Engine speed changes. He described precisely what he's doing when accelerating already.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

97 accord auto - '97 honda Accord lx
90 day: 28.88 mpg (US)
palemelanesian must be doing something right for getting the mileage he is getting. I wish I could have half of that HAH

I think I will hit 40 easy when I get the ultra gauge installed.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What transmission fluid are u civic owners running in your 5 speed. My shifts are not feeling as smooth as I think they should. The fluid looks clean but looks thin as well
Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Honda MTF.

Remember when you look at my results that I have a great route, don't need to run AC, and have 5+ years of practice at this.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrich67 View Post
What transmission fluid are u civic owners running in your 5 speed. My shifts are not feeling as smooth as I think they should. The fluid looks clean but looks thin as well
Royal Purple 5w30 motor oil for several thousand miles now. No issues.

Quote:
palemelanesian must be doing something right for getting the mileage he is getting. I wish I could have half of that HAH
I learned by studying palemelanesian's techniques and I'm in the mid 60s mpg. But as he says above, his route and his time practicing are really significant. I'm fairly good at the hypermiling thing now, but my route will never cooperate. This area is hilly, I'm not willing to average super-slow speeds, and my route gets me stopped at lights, with a dozen cars around me, and on steep inclines where the speed limit is 45 or 50 mph. But with mods and hypermiling, I'm in the mid sixties, and the mild weather here should mean I can stay above 60 all winter.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey California98 what are your techniques. How do u accelerate shift and your average highway speeds and city speeds? Also what other mods do u have besides wai and grill block?

What gauges are you using and how are you going about reading them?

I have already learned a lot from you and paleMelanesian once I get my gauge here and installed I hope I can hit mid 40s.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #48 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Hey California98 what are your techniques. How do u accelerate shift and your average highway speeds and city speeds? Also what other mods do u have besides wai and grill block?

What gauges are you using and how are you going about reading them?

I have already learned a lot from you and paleMelanesian once I get my gauge here and installed I hope I can hit mid 40s.
Thanks.

I have tons of detail on existing and planned mods on my car's ecomodder page, but the best mods beside the two you mention appear to have been the power steering delete, alt cut-off switch, and airdam. Weight reduction (over 200lbs) has also been critical, given the hills, traffic, and reliance on P&G. For tons more, take a look at my page. I hope it's not overwhelming.

I use an UltraGauge, which has the advantage of six figures per page (instead of scagauge's 4). On my main page: load, rpm, trip mpg, longterm fuel trim, coolant temp, and intake air temp.

[EDIT: oh, and I try to average speedlimits, which are usually 35, 45, 50 and only sometimes 25 or 65.]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just got my ultragauge and already installed it. Very nice and very cool. I'm already hitting 50+ average on my mpg and picked up real quick what I was doing wrong from before when I didn't have this gauge.

Shifting wrong holding my gear to long not enough load ( thought I was putting more load then I was )

Learning more to coast in neutral get up to speed and coast and glide.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just making sure indid this correct
So all I have to do is enter in my fuel tank capacity 11.9 gallons and my 1.60 liter size of engine and then that's it??

What is your guys iat reading? Mine I think is like 90 I think it was something like that.
I also went back to 12* on my timing ( red line ) not 14* so we will see how we go from here