View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
zapato
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '09 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 33.15 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hi -

70% @ 55 mph and 30% outer suburbia sounds pretty ideal as far as MPG friendly territory goes (depending on traffic). I predict good results

As for those rear wheel skirts, show this to your wife and see what she thinks:

from: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...irts-3816.html

60 is going to be a stretch with an automatic, but it's good to stretch.

Welcome to the forum!
Ok so I've been thinking about this... And I think I could pull it off with fiberglass, cardboard, and a couple attempts. Since the fiberglass and resin come in fairly large quantity at Home Depot anyway, I might just give this a shot... I won't paint until I'm happy with the shape and effect, so one can of Honda touchup and a can of good high-impact clear-coat should do it. I'll probably need a can of black krylon for the mooncaps, but I haven't entirely decided on a paint scheme there.

I was playing in pixlr, and here's my ideal target car. Blue is lexan, red is cardboard/fiberglass, peach (mooncaps) is up in the air, but probably cardboard/fiberglass. I mostly did a different color there so you could tell it was a cover under the skirt in the rear.

I have some experience with plexiglass resin/sheet over cardboard, but I will definitely need to find some 4mm mylar for that smooth finish trick.

I have some concerns about the kamm - I'll need to be able to use the trunk. I might do a partial in cardboard with trunk clearance and try a tuft test.

edit: And I did show my wife those pics, and she okay'd them. Thanks metro!