View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilseeJ View Post
.....The mechanic said that it was quite possibly caused by be doing EOC. I have seen explanations on kill switches this forum that would lead me to believe he was right. I have read that using the key to engine off coast can keep spraying fuel into the engine.......
I'm not sure I believe the mechanics statement.

I used to perform regular key-off-coasting with my Cavalier, and had no problems at with this method.

The Insight now has a FAS board installed, which removes power to the injectors, effectively stopping the motor, and I still have no issues using this method.

I sometimes get a hesitation in acceleration when again turning the motor back on, but it is a brief pause, probably due to the fuel circuit pressurizing again.

And one can not "see" fuel vapor on a ceramic plug tip, since the fuel quickly evaporates with such a small film thickness. You may however see the carbon residue however, but this would be after running the engine and then depositing enough carbon to actually "view" it. Engine turners used to use this technique for setting carburetor jetting 30 years ago.

Jim.

The Following User Says Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
HilseeJ (02-01-2013)