View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Tune-Up Wrap-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Whiteness generally means leanness. I had this on my plugs and 02 sensor from running lean for a while (due to a vacuum leak, I'm guessing). Could be caused by the 190 t stat...

I generally get the stock plugs either way, I don't fancy it too important since I'm not revving high, but that's a bit half-butted of me,
From what I looked-up, the heat seems to be the culprit here. Burning oil is also a possibility, but not entirely likely since it doesn't loose much between changes.

For what it's worth, I guess "Heat Ranges" aren't really considered on modern, fuel-injected vehicles -- the difference is the gap.

I went with a wider gap this time. Call me "half-butted" as well , but I don't rev higher than 3-grand, and rarely (if ever), recall detonation issues. The rationale is that more spark area is available for increased combustion. It runs smoothly -- I guess the drawback of a wide gap is a possible misfire. We'll see.

But alas, the cover and gasket is back on and new plugs/wires are installed. No more stinky oil leaks.

Side effect: odd transmission behavior -- it's hesitant to shift to 3rd when I lift the throttle at the usual spot (2300 RPM). It's probably the TCM adjusting to different loads(?) 4th to TC lockup is fine tho.

Should I reset the ECU? I know it's recommended, but I worry about that darn hill-logic transmission control unit. The fuzzy logic seems to learn my driving style and I don't want to lose that. It could be a good thing to start fresh?

(oh, and I plan to replace the K&N cone with a standard OEM paper cone filter). More on that laters...

RH77

_
_