View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
Comparing apples to apples like a nissan leaf to a honda fit.... The leaf will still cost over $13,000 more over a 5 year ownership.
At this point in time, people don't buy electric vehicles to save money; they purchase them so they can "save the planet" and give themselves a high-five.

What is the 10yr cost of ownership between the Leaf and Fit? Perhaps in that time-frame you get closer to even.

For those choosing an electric for financial reasons, I believe the time is coming soon when getting a used electric will have a lower 5 year cost of ownership.

I see myself getting an all electric in about 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Regular maintenance on today's ICE cars still costs you about $3000-3500 per 90K miles. The regular maintenance on an EV is virtually $0 for 90K miles...

Or you could do what my brother is doing and pay $1400 down payment on a solar PV installation, and then pay $22-122 *less* per month for electricity.
Your maintenance figures seem high. I pay about $20/year to change my own oil on the TSX (Euro Accord) once every 12,000 miles. I'll probably change brake fluid, engine coolant, gearbox oil and spark plugs myself once during the life of the car for a minimal cost.

I realize most people do none of their own maintenance, but even so, paying Jiffy Lube $20/year for an oil change and servicing the other fluids once per 100k miles isn't going to run $3k.

Home PV is not economically viable for most people without forcing tax payers to subsidize their experiment. This makes traditional grid energy the better option for most.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!