View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #103 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Euromodder,
The alternative is the M-TDI you get the best of both worlds! The M-TDI you will see on the 1.9L and 1.6L TD.They are popular with conversions and dune buggies since there is no need for all the electronic control stuff!
The early TDIs and certainly the 1.6 TD are what I consider to be old skool
You hardly see those anymore, around where I live.
Indirect diesel injection well, that's more like the start of the dino-era ...

I can see why they're popular for biodiesel conversions, but they're a long shot from the TDI you would buy new today ...

They were already very efficient as they were.
60mpg was possible - without going extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
After-treatment systems became really over-complicated, at a certain point that some Diesel users and enthusiasts started to question their real effectiveness regarding the overall operational footprint of a vehicle fitted with them.
Absolutely so - on both accounts.

Quote:
Volkswagen TDI and some French engines, most notably from Renault, still work reasonably with vegetable oil conversions. I know it's illegal, but some actually have the DPF removed and the EGR bypassed to work better with vegetable oil...
There you have it - in order to make it work, all the after-treatment equipment is removed.
Even then, you can have trouble - like biodiesel attacking the fuel lines, the seals in the pump(s).

I had been reading up on using 100% biodiesel in PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) HDI engines - it works in the short run, after swapping a couple of fuel filters, but gets expensive in the long run when your HP pump gives up due to failing seals.

My DPF was shot anyway, so I didn't have to worry about the oil or biodiesel ruining it anymore.
I'd simply swap a cheap oil more often, and burn the fuel-diluted oil - throw it gradually back in the fuel , making some sort of twostroke hybrid dino/bio diesel fuel
A gallon / 6000 miles is easily mixed into over 100 gal of fuel.
Well, that was the plan ...

But the V50 developed too many other issues, so this piece of misery is going to the wrecker - to be part-Xed.