View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #47 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
Also if you still have a wheel bearing noise a good way to tell is it will increase with vehicle speed. Plus at speed if you turn the wheel to the left or right the noise will get louder or quieter. Don't always go by " it sounds like the right side" I've had to eat parts in the past because it sounds like the noise is the right side but it's actually the noise/vibration traveling across and fooling you. I have a diagnostic procedure for hub/wheel bearings to determine which side it is. I can share if you like
I half expect the transmission will not completely solve the bearing noise problem. So I would love to hear/see your diagnostic because I wasn't satisfied with the official Honda procedure. Their test requires an expensive and hard to find gauge tool. So I spot tested the hubs, which the shop manual gives a movement tolerance of less than a mm. I tested for any play whatsoever. But it was like looking for play in the "Honda" lettering on the cam cover. Solid. I did the trans because mine has more than 200K on it, and is well indicated as a source of the symptoms. It was the best indicated step--after testing quite a lot.

BUT, what you describe above is one of the symptoms. Maybe the noise is a compound of problems. I'll know more when I fire it up today or tomorrow. I like testing. Empiricism is good.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.