View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If that's the case, I'd be reluctant. Won't it also adjust to the different plugs, if they're affecting the O2 sensor or knock sensor?
Other than the increased efficiency of the ignition system, no sensor that I can think of needs to be "reset" with the ECU power-pull. I'll forge on with the current setup and see what develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
And how are they to know that? So you toasted the K&N? so much for the moneys worth...
70K Miles isn't too bad for the money's worth. I've re-oiled it about 3 times and it's just becoming a pain. The oil tends to travel up the 'clean' intake tube, and I fear that the MAF sensor will become gunked-up with it.

I understand the concern for paper recycling and the re-use of the K&N, but it has been 70-thousand miles, and I'd rather go with a more reliable paper-style filter with my application. I feel that this particular part has been rehabilitated beyond its usable life expectancy. A new one, in my opinion, is neither Scientifically justified or environmentally friendly (it takes more energy to produce a metallic mesh and metal end-cap than paper and rubber/plastic ends).

The "performance" feature is 'industry' tested at near-maximum RPM at peak torque and horsepower. These figures do not represent my operation at <3000 RPM. I'm willing to give paper another chance for economic and efficient applications. If FE decreases, then we know it was due to the filter. I think I can let it go for quite a while and recycle the necessary parts (and consequently use less energy through the manufacturing processes of the filter style).

Turning the filter in for warranty purposes is moot. The "Million Mile Warranty" is a selling tactic. I could try it, but I would get the same product and same effort to keep it updated (oil, etc). I'm finished with it. Besides, testing with a restricted intake yielded less pumping losses, reduced power, and consequently less fuel consumed overall. I've used the K&N system for at least 7-10 years, and it's time to try something different for testing-sake.

Just monitor the FE results after the new filter is replaced, and we'll determine the eco-friendliness.

RH77

_
_