View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #282 (permalink)
AndrzejM
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I had a long look inside my engine bay and making a duct for the post-intercooler air won't be easy - the A/C's plumbing is right behind the IC and there is no easy way to move it aside
Maybe you could build a duct with plumbing left inside? Or maybe a deflector for the air to move it away from the engine?

Quote:
My mechanic is replacing my brake rotors and pads, everything got rusted out from lack of use Hopefully I'll see better coasting once he's done. Or maybe I should remove my brakes to save some weight? The front rotors weigh like 6-8kg each!
I'm hoping that's a joke about removing brakes... I know it's heavy but if you want to save some weight you should buy ceramic brake rotors they are much ligthter, rust proof and 20 times more expensive

Quote:
I got 10 minutes under the car while I was at the mechanic's so I started to insulate the oil pan. Only the front for now, if I don't have any problems with overheating or with the foam over the summer, then I'll add more before winter starts.

It is a rubber foam, 3mm thick, used for sound deadening. The specs say it is good between -40 and +105°C, the guy at the car audio store I got it from says that 90°C would be a better safety margin. But he also said that it is not flammable, so if it gets too hot then it'll just melt. We'll at the end of summer.
Nice! Oil temp shouldn't go above 90C to often but... Take a look there from time to time... I think 105C is slightly too low for an oil pan. But... With your style of driving that should be just fine. We'll see in the Summer

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."