Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #281 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I had a long look inside my engine bay and making a duct for the post-intercooler air won't be easy - the A/C's plumbing is right behind the IC and there is no easy way to move it aside

My mechanic is replacing my brake rotors and pads, everything got rusted out from lack of use Hopefully I'll see better coasting once he's done. Or maybe I should remove my brakes to save some weight? The front rotors weigh like 6-8kg each!

I got 10 minutes under the car while I was at the mechanic's so I started to insulate the oil pan. Only the front for now, if I don't have any problems with overheating or with the foam over the summer, then I'll add more before winter starts.

It is a rubber foam, 3mm thick, used for sound deadening. The specs say it is good between -40 and +105°C, the guy at the car audio store I got it from says that 90°C would be a better safety margin. But he also said that it is not flammable, so if it gets too hot then it'll just melt. We'll at the end of summer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insul_oilpan.jpg
Views:	3043
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	12961  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #282 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I had a long look inside my engine bay and making a duct for the post-intercooler air won't be easy - the A/C's plumbing is right behind the IC and there is no easy way to move it aside
Maybe you could build a duct with plumbing left inside? Or maybe a deflector for the air to move it away from the engine?

Quote:
My mechanic is replacing my brake rotors and pads, everything got rusted out from lack of use Hopefully I'll see better coasting once he's done. Or maybe I should remove my brakes to save some weight? The front rotors weigh like 6-8kg each!
I'm hoping that's a joke about removing brakes... I know it's heavy but if you want to save some weight you should buy ceramic brake rotors they are much ligthter, rust proof and 20 times more expensive

Quote:
I got 10 minutes under the car while I was at the mechanic's so I started to insulate the oil pan. Only the front for now, if I don't have any problems with overheating or with the foam over the summer, then I'll add more before winter starts.

It is a rubber foam, 3mm thick, used for sound deadening. The specs say it is good between -40 and +105°C, the guy at the car audio store I got it from says that 90°C would be a better safety margin. But he also said that it is not flammable, so if it gets too hot then it'll just melt. We'll at the end of summer.
Nice! Oil temp shouldn't go above 90C to often but... Take a look there from time to time... I think 105C is slightly too low for an oil pan. But... With your style of driving that should be just fine. We'll see in the Summer

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #283 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Nice idea with the oil pan insulation. I'm anxious to see how it holds up.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #284 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Mrs. P has gone out of hibernation after 2 years of not sitting behind the wheel. The car is now pretty much hers, I have to negotiate and beg if I want to drive. Among the good sides of this:
  • She is perfecting her driving skills, and hypermiling skills whenever I'm next to her,
  • Her fuel consumption is hardly worse than mine,
  • I feel so relaxed not having to do the fighting on the streets of Warsaw.
A down side is that I keep the grille blocks open for when she will be driving without me. During the summer this isn't much of a problem, but when it starts to get cold I'll either have to automate the blocks, or teach Mrs. P when and how to open/close the grille. Neither will be easy

So while she is adding to Svietana's trip log, I am biking 40km daily. Part of my weight reduction plan to improve Svietana's FE

I met with AndrzejM (cheers!) a while back and had a chance to drive Bertha. Having the engine start/kill switch on the trans stick is just sooooo natural, that even now I can't get used to not having it in my car. This is the project I keep thinking about while biking to work everyday...

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #285 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
Quote:
I met with AndrzejM (cheers!) a while back and had a chance to drive Bertha. Having the engine start/kill switch on the trans stick is just sooooo natural, that even now I can't get used to not having it in my car. This is the project I keep thinking about while biking to work everyday...
You just need a small rocker and the rest is just a piece of cake

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #286 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I know the feeling of wanting the kill on the stick, thats where mine has been for almost 3 years now and I drive any other stick and I press the spot for the kill without thinking about it not being there.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #287 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Got a whole hour of free time () so I had a look at the foam insulation I stuck to the oil pan before summer (see top of page). It held up, no melting or any other damage visible either to the foam or the oil pan, so I went ahead and added more. I covered all 4 sides, then added a second layer (I still have enough for another 1-2 layers), each layer is 3mm thick.

Before starting I had the pad heater on for ~30min, then drove into the garage. It was cold outside, the chassis temperature was 4-5°C while the oil pan was 16.5°C, the test piece of foam from before summer was 15°C. Now with all sides covered with 6mm (compared to an isolated 3mm) the oil pan should hopefully hold temp much better.

The underside of the hood has a "blanket", probably for sound deadening but also works as thermal insulation. That's not good enough - I covered the whole underside with bubblefoil, shiny side down. The OEM blanky is still there, behind the foil.

As you can see, the old cardboard-with-alufoil-glued-to-it is still in service, but I plan to replace it with something that will better wrap the top and sides of the engine, instead of just laying on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpan1.JPG
Views:	1229
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	14128   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpan2.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	14129   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubblehood.JPG
Views:	927
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	14130  

The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-20-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #288 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
What I find most amazing is that
- you only fill up about once a month, yet have saved some 500L according to the Garage
- you wife doesn't seem to do much worse @ hypermiling than you

Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #289 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

After an hour's drive I parked the car and over the next 30-40 minutes checked a few times whether the hood is warm from the engine. It wasn't. Heat was escaping through the side panels and under the windshield, but the hood was cold to the touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
What I find most amazing is that
- you only fill up about once a month, yet have saved some 500L according to the Garage
Actually less often, more like once every 2-3 months. But I service my bike more often
Quote:
- you wife doesn't seem to do much worse @ hypermiling than you
I taught her well, or she's a good student. Either way I'm not complaining

Old 11-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #290 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
Quote:
As you can see, the old cardboard-with-alufoil-glued-to-it is still in service, but I plan to replace it with something that will better wrap the top and sides of the engine, instead of just laying on it.
Try fire blanket. I'm using one in my wife's car and it's doing an amazing job. Engine is warm in virtually no time.

I'm trying now to get another one for Berta.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrzejM For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (11-20-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
grille block, kammback, peugeot, wheel skirts